Monday, June 8, 2009

Cream of Tomato Soup +


This started as a regular cream of tomato soup. Simple and classic. The recipe calls for onion cooked in butter until clear, then flour is mixed in to make roux. The roux is mixed with tomato juice and then milk. Season to taste.

The soup tasted as reliable as the recipe was, but it was also as boring as the recipe. But the great thing about cream of tomato soup is how adaptable it is to improvisation. So I looked around. I threw in some basil and a can of diced tomatoes. Cool, the soup is a bit chunkier. I threw in garlic as well. I like garlic. But I wanted the soup to have more substance.

Fortunately, I had some meat. It wasn't just any kind of meat. It was sausage. I like sausages: bratwurst, kielbasa, italian, salami, pepperoni, breakfast sausage, korean blood sausages, etc. This was a spicy kind. Publix labeled it "chorizo", and although it wasn't the chorizo I remember eating when I was young, it had flavor. This was what my soup needed. I chopped up the sausages, and threw them in.

Now I'm sure there's many other kinds of foods I could have thrown in, but that doesn't matter now, because at this moment, I'm quite satisfied. What more does one need from life than peace and a full stomach (also a form of peace)?

The recipe I started this madness from:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-of-Tomato-Soup/Detail.aspx
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sam said...

A side note: Everyone knows bread goes well with soup... I had some bread left. 1 + 1 ≤ 2.